Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall in the Mountains

Greetings Dear Friends! When last I wrote, it was summer. How quickly pass the days! Fall is in the air and my people, Mr. and Mrs. H., decided to take a trip into the mountains to catch a glimpse of the fall foliage.

On our way up to the mountains of the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee, we stopped to look at a local dam. Fortunately, the usual torrent of water was turned off and we were able to venture closer than usual on this day.

But, I must admit, I was still a bit nervous when we climbed down the stairs that led to the water's edge.
It gave me a bit of a shudder to think of being swept away with the awesome force of the currents if the dam was turned on! Mrs. H. re-assured me that the sirens would sound if for some reason the dam was turned on. However, it was not scheduled to be on today.
Still, I was a bit relieved when we resumed our journey to the mountain park. We stopped at the site of the 1996 summer Olympics white water rafting center. Further on down the river, where the current was swift and the water deeper, we saw several rafters out enjoying the fall day. My people discussed returning to the park to try a bit of rafting themselves next summer. I do hope they provide me with a waterproof pouch during that event!
We hiked a bit on the mountain trails. I found a fetching new fall fashion along the way!
The hike was quite long and we all stopped to rest a bit. I found the perfect place to sit for a spell!
There were signs all around warning people to beware of black bears. However, the most fearsome thing we encountered were some rather large centipedes. I thought they were rather frightening enough, actually...especially when you are a small doll.
On the way down the mountain, we stopped by a lovely lake.
I didn't mind being close to the still waters of the lake! Much more relaxing than sitting at the edge of the waters below the dam. I did have one brief scare when Master H. wondered how far I would float, being made of wood. I was quite relieved when Mrs. H. informed him that if I were to set sail, he would be going in after me so he had best leave me right were I was. Master H. can be quite the joker sometimes...at least, I hope he was joking...
Later, we visited Mrs. H's. father. He works at a rock crusher far up in the hills were he grew up years ago. He took us to the top of the hill they are working on now.
The view was quite spectacular, although one had to be sure not to get to close to the edge of the ravine in order to avoid starting a rock slide.
We wandered about the hills....finding some lovely flowers along the way.
The best part, however, was stopping by a pond far up the hillside....undisturbed except for the rare visitor. The beavers had been quite busy in the pond! We could see the little homes they had dug for themselves. After surveying their handiwork, I could quite see where the expression, "Busy as a beaver" comes from.
Overall, a lovely fall adventure!
Until Next Time,
Hitty Rowan