Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Winter Walk

Dear Readers. I have decided to share my journal with some of my fellow companions who do not have journals of their own, but who would like to share their own adventures. Today, one of our new companions--Faye--decided to take a Winter Walk and share her thoughts. Faye is a student at Rivendell Academy. She likes to think of the journal as a diary.

January 12, 2011

Dear Diary;

Yesterday evening, a lovely snow began to drift around the academy. Everyone was so excited! While I enjoy frivolity at times, there is something about snow that causes me to long for quiet, solitary reflection. I sat by the window and watched the snow fall far into the evening.

When we woke this morning, there was snow coating the ground. Our classes were cancelled so that we could enjoy the snowfall. I decided to take a walk into the woods. As I walked, a poem I recently read came to mind. I love poetry and Robert Frost's words seemed so appropriate for today.

Whose woods are these, I think I know.

His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

The woods were indeed filled with snow. In a moment of whimsy, I stopped to build a snowman. Unfortunately, I could not find any pebbles small enough for a face.

I looked down the white washed path through the woods and the quiet forest seemed to beckon.

I debated on whether to take a winter stroll, however, because there were a few rather fierce gusts of wind. And I am but a little doll in a wide, cold wood.
I took shelter by a tree, and the wind gusts soon died down...a least for a little while.


I decided to attempt a short stroll to the lake.

It was frozen and covered with snow as far as the eye could see.
I walked around the lake....
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
Although, for me, it was nowhere near evening. Master Allanon gave us strict instructions to return to the academy well before evening, when the winds will blow bitter and cold.
But, I still had ample time to explore the frozen wood before darkness fell.
I thought about skating on the ice, but decided it looked too thin in places.
I walked further into the woods, and then paused for a bit of rest. It is slow going in the snow.
A little further along up the hill, I decided to simply sit a spell and enjoy the quiet of the winter woods.


Soon enough, I decided I best return to the academy.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Fortunately, I do not have miles to go before I sleep. I do, however, have promises to keep so back to the academy I go.
Until next time, dear diary!
Faye